Monday, April 28, 2008

Ok, so how do I start downloading podcasts…..

1. Firstly, you need to purchase an MP3 player. If you want to download thousands of music files and stories you will probably need a 2, 4, 8+ gig device. There are two types of MP3, one where you have a cable connected from the device to the PC or a stick type which inserts directly into the USB port. I just have a very simple 512mb one which is adequate for my needs. Every Sunday morning I download about 20 hours of programs…this is more that enough for my weekly listening. Once I have listened to the programs, I just simply delete them.
2. Secondly, you need a PC with broadband internet. You can download using dial-up, but it is very slow. A one hour program could take you an hour to download. Broadband really speeds up this process with some programs taking a minute or so to download.
3. Now choose a program you want to download from (the ABC and the BBC have a large amount to choose from). Let us download an episode of ‘Ramblings with Clare Balding’ from the BBC 4 as an example:
a) Insert your MP3 player into one of the USB ports on your PC.
b) Go to the website http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/ramblings.shtml
c) Click on the podcast button, this will take you to the BBC download page.
d) Choose the program you want by ‘right’ clicking the mouse on ‘Download Episode’ at the bottom of the program you want and choose ‘save target as’.
e) In the ‘Save in:’ box choose ‘My Computer’ and then the ‘drive’ that your MP3 is inserted into.
f) Then click ‘save’ at the bottom right.

4. More information about the basics of podcasting can be found at this BBC site:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/help/podcasts/getting_started.shtml

Voila!!

No comments: